Chicken is an absolutely protein staple that makes a great meal option. As a healthy source of protein, chicken can be a standalone meal or sometimes, combined with other ingredients to create a yummy full meal. Although it’s an all-time crowd-pleaser, chicken can become very boring at times. But interestingly, there are several ways to explore the versatility of this lean protein. When cooked creatively in several ways with a variety of flavours, there’s no limit to how flavoursome it turns out. The breast remains the healthiest part of the chicken and is often used as a main ingredient in lots of recipes. Today’s recipe is no exception as we’ll be combining chicken breasts with vegetables to create a healthy light dinner – Vegetable Chicken Salad.
Salads are ever versatile, fresh and certainly a colourful sight for sore eyes because they can be created from a wide mix of healthy veggies. And the chicken? There’re a thousand and one ways to incorporate chicken in salads – boiled, grilled, roasted. Is there any better way to loaded up healthily on antioxidants, vitamins and vital nutrients? Simply put some creativity into play and you’ll be surprised at the refreshingly healthy exotic meal you’ll create.
To grill your Chicken breasts, you’ll need:
- 1kg Skinless Chicken breasts, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 Finger Fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 Clove Fresh Garlic, grated
- 1 Medium sized Onion, grated
- ½ Table spoon Dried Parsley
- ½ Table spoon Oregano
- ¼ Table spoon Garlic powder (optional)
- ½ Table spoon Dried Basil
- 1 Table spoon Chilli Pepper
- ½ Table spoon Ground Black Pepper (optional)
- 2 Table spoon Malt Vinegar (any other vinegar choice will do)
- 2 Table spoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Table spoon Olive Oil
- Seasoning cubes
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and pour into a Ziploc bag. Next, add in chicken to marinate. Seal bag and turn generously to ensure chicken parts are properly coated in marinade. Leave in fridge to marinate overnight or for at least 4-6hours (if pressed for time).
Preheat oven or grill to medium high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and place over lightly oiled grill racks. Grill each side for about 7-8 minutes. Check for pinkness in the interior, if none, your grilled chicken breasts are ready!
Remove from grill, shred, dice or leave thinly sliced (as you prefer) and set aside.
Now let’s rustle up our salad. You’ll need:
- 1 Head Lettuce, washed and chopped/sliced
- 3 fresh Tomatoes, cubed
- 4 fingers baby Carrot, sliced
- 2 Avocado fruits, sliced into half (optional)
- 1 cup red Kidney Beans, rinsed (optional)
- 1 Cucumber, diced
- 1 small sized Onion, sliced
- 1 Table spoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Table spoon Lemon juice
To Prepare your Chicken salad:
Simply toss all vegetables together into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle some balsamic vinegar and lemon juice on them as dressing. Mix in your diced grilled chicken breasts and your light dinner is ready to be served.
This tasty chicken salad recipe is healthy and easy to put together. It’s also suitable for a delicious lunch. Any left bovver can be kept in fridge for any other time during the week.