Acne is a very stubborn kind of skin blemish. It is a skin disease that involves the oil glands at the base of hair follicles.
Acne commonly occurs during puberty when the sebaceous (oil) glands come to life - the glands are stimulated by male hormones produced by the adrenal glands of both males and females.
Acne is health threatening but can leave skin scars.
However, there are steps you can take to keep your skin free of acne and prevent future breakouts.
How To Take Care Of Acne Prone Skin
- Cleansing your skin daily with a gentle cleanser can help keep pimples at bay. Do not cleanse more than twice a day as excess washing will strip your skin of its natural oils causing dryness which leads to more breakout.
- Exfoliate once a week; this helps rid the skin of dead cells. Over exfoliating will.lead to more breakout.
- Moisturize daily. This helps give your skin the natural oil it needs. Use a moisturizer that is non-comedogenic.
- Use toner. Toner helps shrink pores. Make sure the toner you use is low in alcohol.
- Use face masks daily. There are many face masks over the counter that are formulated for acne.
- You can also make your homemade face masks at home.
- Eat balanced diets that include fruits and vegetable. Healthy eating helps maintain good skin and keep blemishes away.
- Drink lots of water; this helps detoxify your body, thereby revealing fresher, smoother skin.
- Take supplements like zinc, vitamin E, evening primrose oil, omega three fatty acids. They are proven to help reduce acne.
- Do not pop your pimples. These leads to scarring and also causes the pimples to spread
- Remember to get enough rest. Stress also causes acne and older looking skin.